Andhra Pradesh Prisons
Department came into existence on 1st November, 1956
after the re-organization of States. Initially the
Prisons Department consisted of only few Central
Jails, District Jails and Sub Jails.
Subsequently during 1976 in pursuance of the policy decision
taken by the Government to transfer the administration of Sub Jails from the
control of the Judiciary to that of the Prisons Department, the Prisons
Department expanded itself into a major Department.